Saturday, March 28, 2009

Running

I think I may have been over thinking this writing thing or perhaps I am right about getting the faucet running. For awhile, I have been convinced that writing needs to work orally, but this means I have tried to write slow and deliberately, thinking carefully over words. But if good writing sounds like good speech, then perhaps my best voice is the voice in my head, and that means that the best voice to write towards is the voice in my head. Worry about things like perfect punctuation later, for now I need to get the raw sound of me when I speak, or more purely, the sound, the cadence, of me when I think, the tumbling snickering of my mind unwinding. Perhaps that is what I need, what I should unleash. Perhaps that is how it should sound, should read. I don't know. But it is nice not to overthink it for a bit, and to write something down, because I don't think I can do writing as careful arbitration. I don't have a mind for contracts and stipulations, but for spontaneity and effulgence. Or not, I don't know. Maybe I will end up somehwere else, somewhere that seems careful and deliberate. It is new to try to write steadily. I hope it holds up. I hope I keep it up.

I know it makes me happy though. I know it is easier, and that makes it better. The progress makes it better.

No comments: