Tuesday, September 16, 2008

RIP, Rick Wright

Rick Wright, keyboardist for Pink Floyd, has died. I am listening to "Great Gig in the Sky" as I type.

I haven't really been listening to Pink Floyd much in recent years, but I was really, really into them in high school. I bought every single one of their studio albums, which is quite a feat, considering I wasn't using drugs. So, this seriously bums me out. He wasn't really prime mover in the band ever, but after Syd got kicked out, he was the bands main space cadet, and was responsible for all the really trippy, childish songs, songs like "Paintbox," "Remember a Day" and "See Saw," that lent the later incarnation of the band some of their earlier vibes. And of course, he wrote "The Great Gig in the Sky," an absolutely superb song about death with no words. Not trippy or childish at all, just eerie and beautiful.

Shine on, Richard Wright. We'll miss you.

No comments: