Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Creative Devolution

I have been trying to get some fiction writing done on SK today, but it has been going nowhere. I have been continuously falling down rabbit holes of online pseudohistory, looking for just enough information to come up with a description of some event that has taken place as background for my story, but isn't even a necessary part of the story itself, just some historical flavor to get the ball rolling, but doing that has become a kind of insurmountable task as I try to sort through all the various historical sources to find the one "correct" image of the past that should be pithily described, and the whole time I am kicking myself for not having finished Gibbon already, since that might actually supply me something of an outline to all these various quandaries. As such, my writing quickly became little more than editing that rapidly devolved into research, and I got less than nothing done. Literally: My work so far today has soncisted of removing a paragraph that I realized was historically inaccurate, but I don't know yet what to put in it's place.

I just wanted to get some writing done, to work with words and such, but it seems that that is nearly impossible to do as I am working on the bloody opening of this book.

No comments: